Well, I was thinking of writing about this one for a while now, it s a very interesting and quite practical thing,
See, according to eastern philosophies, energies of man and woman are different, female energy is a lunar energy, what does it mean ? It means that the power of that energy is peace and tranquility, it is soothing and comforting, it gives relief and rest. Male energy is the energy of the sun – it means activity, perseverance, overcoming obstacles. Some eastern teachings say that a main task for a woman is to accumulate and build up that peace and tranquility inside.
Why would we need to do that ? It comes really handy to have your own pool of tranquility in times when everything around is crazy. When you have that space of tranquility within, you can transfer it on to your partner, your family, when they need it most. It often happens in the family that negative state or negative emotions of one person affect everyone else around and it has a snowball effect, that’s when our “lunar” tranquility comes to a rescue. And Please don’t think that spending time on yourself is selfish, in fact it s very unselfish, because it s your family who will enjoy having peaceful you around. Who would not want their wife or their mum to be happy and calm ?
SO, some obvious and not very obvious ways of accumulating this energy for a woman.
1) Finding time to look after yourself – having a massage, looking after your hair and nails, I find it very calming to have a self massage with sesame or coconut oil once a week, including the head massage (and my hair love coconut oil!) Massage with warm oil naturally calms the system, it s good for our skin as well, and if you are familiar with Ayurveda, it s good for balancing Vata dosha. In some ancient cultures they used to think that hair is the storage of positive energy for a woman, when your hair are looked after, beautiful and shiny you will feel more positive and energized.
2) Increasing the beauty in you and around you – just notice how it makes you feel different when you have flowers in the house, or when you put on some skirt or dress that you really like, everyone has their own, unique understanding of beauty, I m not going to inspire you to look like people in magazines or in movies, but I m talking about feeling beautiful, and creating beauty in the space around you.
3) I especially love this one – getting together with other women and spending time not doing anything “important” really, but just talking, cooking, making stuff together, even putting colorful polish on your nails etc. is really really vital in uplifting female lunar energy 🙂 Believe me, even if it looks like a complete waist of time, it s not!!
If there is no time or for some reason there is no opportunity to catch up with friends too often – talk to your girl-friends on the phone, on skype. You know women need that, they need to share their feeling and emotions and ideas with other people, I know a man can never understand how you can spend 1 hour talking on skype, but if we don’t talk and don’t share with our friends, then the whole flow of our feelings, emotions and ideas will hit one person – our partner, and no man can survive that : ) Yesterday I spend couple of hours discussing with my friend on skype how to make a nice skirt and how to cook a yummy cabbage dish and other such things :)) Which leads us to our next point –
4) Crafts – creating things with your hands, knitting, sawing, crocheting, making stuffed toys, anything you like – uplifts the lunar energy as well, if you can get together and do it with other women – even better : )
5) Making food and feeding people – there is something magical about food )) I love making food and eating food with others, although I m still quite happy to eat my food by myself, it’s an increased pleasure when you can share a meal with a friend and enjoy it together 😉
6) Growing your own vegetables increases lunar energy – I won’t be able to explain the “scientific” part right now, but I m sure you know how it makes difference when you start growing something in the pot on your balcony.
7) Having things pleasant for your senses around – we already talked about flowers, maybe some candles and incense sticks ? Or Aroma oil lamp ? Or pleasant music. Actually in Ayurveda they talk about the importance of proper food for our body and proper food for our mind – for the senses – it’s important for your mental health to “feed” your mind with nice impressions – walking in the nature, looking at the moon etc.
8) Your spiritual practice – meditation, yoga, other spiritual practices that help to calm the mind and release stress. I find that Sudarshan Kriya is very effective and it does not take much time, which makes it easy to practice everyday.
9) Singing and dancing – In many ancient cultures they had a tradition of singing while doing their daily things, singing to put children to sleep, singing for special occasions and festivals. Singing and playing musical instruments purifies and uplifts the energy. Oh, that reminds me that it’s been a while since we had a Satsang here (when we gather and sing some chants in Sanskrit and some other songs and sometimes even kids songs )
It’s not a complete list of course, there is more to come on that topic 🙂 and those things listed above seem like nothing new, we all know about it and we all do it, some more often than others, but I wanted to write about it because we often think that all this is not important, there is something else that is more important, we keep running around doing all the “important” things, we get tired and depleted, or sometimes our mind tells us that those things is a waist of time and we have heaps to do, no time for making stuffed toys, putting oil in the hair or chatting on the phone with a friend.
Also women have this habit to nurture everyone else around but to forget about themselves, but the law of the nature is – you can give and share something when you are full, you can give love, energy, support to your family when you have it inside. So, on the part of being a responsible parent, wife, partner – it’s our responsibility to make sure we remember to top up our “pool” of lunar energy 😀
For me finding time to do those things regularly is a good investment in myself, and for me personally, it s a good reminder, that in all those things the result is not as important as enjoying the process, getting in touch with my “lunar” energy and learning to be a a more peaceful, balanced person.